12 weeks of milestone, some I crossed, some to cross, indeed a lots to contribute. It was Google Summer of Code'17 which show me a way and drived me to contribute for world's largest open source community, Drupal. These awesome 3 months of summer spent in developing a project "Creating Great GeoSpatial Experience for Drupal ", have filled me with great zeal and zest. The adventurous journey of thousand lines of code comes to an end. However this post is not about my personal experience but a summary of the tasks accomplished and outstandings throughout the project.
Hi folks, this week is the last week of Google Summer of Code'17 and as I promised to deliver a complete working Search_Api_Location Module by the end of this summer, finally today I am going to guide you how to install and configure the module. All patches have been pushed to Drupal code base, an Alpha version of the same will be released soon.
Hi folks, one more week to end Google Summer of Code'17. As I promised to finish the project in these 3 months, this week I have completed porting all the required features for the Alpha release of the module and submitted all the required tests for it. You can have a look on this issue also. As you know our module implicitly depends upon the Search API Solr, in fact it will take more 3-4 days to fix the issue and help release of the module.
If you can remember in the last post I had discussed about representing the imploded heat map array on a map. I ended up with a solution to use SolrHeatMapLayer library extensively with my module. I had to hack the library up to some extent as it was explicitly coupled to solr server. And my module depends on Solr via search api and Search api location plugin.
Plotting markers on a map is easy using the tooling that is readily available. However, what if you want to add a large number of markers to a map when building a search interface? The problem is that things start to clutter and it’s hard to view the results. The solution is to group results together into one marker. You can do that on the client using client-side scripting, but as the number of results grows, this might not be the best option from a performance perspective.
If you have read my last post, you can remember I had discussed about the faceted map search. So this post is about how I tried to achieve the same. I have tried to port a completely new module i.e facets_map_widget. It works as a sub-module of Search_api_location and an extension plugin of facets module to provide a map interface that can be used to narrow down Geo-Spatial search results.
Last week, I wrote kernel test for Geocode plugin and submitted a patch in Drupal issue queue. You can have a look on this issue. The test runs successfully and it shows green, But I was wondering how to provide an API key to test configuration because in kernel test, we test with an empty database. The test runs successfully in my local server because I had provided an Google Map API key to geocode the user input in Geocode plugin aka Geocoder module. And that API key works as quota to my IP.
In the last week, I worked for Geocode Plugin, fixed some issues and now it is completely working with search api location module. Are you wondering what "Geocode" plugin exactly does. Well, let me first tell you what is Geocoder module does. It geocodes just about anything you throw at it including addresses, GPX files, geo-tagged images, and KML files.
If you find my week-3 post I had posted a brief description about creating views filter of search api location views. Here I explained some more details about the filter plugin. The module works great with raw plugin and does exactly it says on the tin, however it created something of a head-scratcher as the same project, which was using Apache Solr via Search API, required this data to be searchable by the end user.
As I mentioned on my project proposal, I promised to contribute not only for search API location module, but also any other modules related to my proposal i.e to make drupal users have experience a great geo spatial search. If you see my previous post, for the time being I had to remove geocoder plugin as search api location plugins were not visible.